Author: Epicurus.com Kitchens
- 6 pounds beef round rump roast boneless
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil; or salad oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper; few dashes
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram leaves; crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves; ground
- 1 Tablespoon parsley; minced
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons cooking fat
- 1 medium onion; thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper; chopped
- 15 ounces tomato sauce with tomato bits
- 3/4 Cup dry red wine
- 1/2 Cup orange juice
- 1 Cup olives; pimiento-stuffed optional
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup water
- In small bowl, mix 2 Tablespoons oil with salt, pepper, marjoram, cinnamon, cloves, parsley, and garlic powder. Spread mixture on meat with a small spoon and allow to stand in room temperature not more than 1 hour.
- In a Dutch oven, or large pan with a tight-fitting cover, brown meat in fat. Remove from pan and pour off fat drippings.
- Cook onions in drippings remaining in pan until soft but not browned; stir often. Add green pepper, tomato sauce with bits, wine, and orange juice; mix well. Return meat to pan.
- Cover and simmer for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until done. (Or cook in a 325F oven for same amount of time.) Turn meat once to cook it evenly throughout. Remove meat and keep warm. Skim off any excess fat.
- Add olives. Mix cornstarch with water. Add mixture slowly to liquid in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Taste sauce and correct seasoning, if necessary, with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce over sliced meat, or serve sauce separately.