Lots of us have been using essential oils for some time now, why don't we come together as a community and share our "stuff" so the newbies out there can learn from our experience! Please contribute your brilliant suggestions to this Big Fat List of great ways to use essential oils in the comments sections below!
I'll start the list off with a few suggestions of my own...
1. Got hiccups? Dab some peppermint on the back of your neck, a little on each side of the spinal cord.
2. Runny nose? Swipe a drop of lemon down each side of the nose to dry it up.
3. Can't focus? Combine peppermint and wild orange, apply to the back of the neck, next inhale the oil left on your hands.
4. Itchy, irritated eyes? Dab lavender on the facial bones surrounding your eyes (careful to keep oil away from eyes). If applying to children, make sure they don't rub their eyes until oil is absorbed.
5. Allergies? Mix up equal parts of lavender, lemon and peppermint ~ nature's antibiotic! Apply to bottom's of feet morning and night. Diffuse if possible.
6. Ear Ache/Infection? Combine 2 drops basil or melaleuca with a some carrier oil such as coconut or olive oil and rub around the rim of ear, behind ear and just inside. Apply several times a day. Never drop essential oils into the ear.
7. Trouble breathing? Due to congestion or asthma? Apply Breathe blend on chest, then cup one hand against palm with residual Breathe oil on it ~ creating an "inhaler" ~ and suck the vapors from palm into chest for quick relief.
8. Bad breath? A drop of peppermint and you're kissable fresh again!
9. To freshen laundry? Add a few drops of your favorite oil onto a clean rag and toss into the dryer with wet laundry.
10. Smelly carpet? Add 10 drops of your favorite oil to a box of baking soda or cornstarch, mix well and let sit for a day. Sprinkle on carpet, let sit for an hour and vacuum the stink away!
11. Athlete's foot? Melalueca works wonders! Apply neat to affected areas.
12. Toe fungus? Melaleuca to the rescue again! Use neat, dab affected toe with saturated q-tip applying to the surface of toenail morning and night.
13. Unsightly warts or skin tags? Apply morning and night. If using Oregano, use a Qtip to dab one drop of on affected area...this will give you good control of application. Oregano is a hot oil so you won't want to spread it around. Skin tags fall off quickly with Oregano, you'll be impressed! Wart removal can take several weeks depending on how large it is underneath the skin.
For kids: Lavender or lemon works wonderfully too! Apply morning and night and don't cover with a bandaid, it's important to let the area breathe. Also, it's convenient to put the EO in a roll-on bottle so kids can apply themselves...they like taking charge :)
14. Cellulite Woes? Pour a bottle of grapefruit into a bottle of fractionated coconut oil and rub into problem areas after shower or bath. You'll smell divine and your skin will be so soft!
15. Diaper Rash? Mix up some Diaper Spray. 18 oz water, 1 t. organic body wash, 4 drops melaleuca, 4 drops lavender. (great diaper rash preventative too!)
16. Sanitizing Wipes: Make your own, or add lemon and lavender to store bought baby wipes. Remove wipes from container, squeeze out excess moisture and let dry out a few hours. Mix 1/2 C. very warm water, 1 T. coconut oil, 6 drops lemon, 6 drops lavender, let coconut oil melt, stir and pour over slightly dried out store bought wipes. Squeeze out excess water. These are awesome!
17. Dogs w/ Fleas? Drip a couple drops of melaleuca on back of collar. Or, tie a bandanna with a few drops of melaleuca around your dogs neck and watch fleas flee!
18. Dog's w/ Ear Infection? Couple of drops of melaleuca and carrier oil on a cotton ball, wipe inside of ear several times a day.
19. Dog w/ Sunburned Nose? Dab a little lavender with carrier oil on his honker.
20. Muscle Ache? 1 part Deep Blue blend with 4 parts fractionated coconut oil as a penetrating, pain relieving massage oil.
21. Healthy candle scent? Add a few drops of your favorite oil to the melted wax of a burning candle for a better scent.
22. Mice? Place cotton balls with peppermint in problem areas
23. Fever? A few drops of peppermint mixed with a carrier oil and applied to the torso can drop body temp 3 degrees in minutes!
24. Burns? A drop of lavender or lemon will immediately stop the pain and tissue damage.
25. Heartburn? A couple drops of peppermint in a small glass of milk will knock out the heartburn.