We all lose hair as we age and want it to regrow. That’s why numerous products are sold to help hair grow. Each year, millions of people consult their doctors or pharmacists for the magic cure to help regrow hair. But hair growth chemicals don’t always work as well as some natural remedies. Here, some legendary natural home remedies for hair loss.
- Keep your hair healthy with regular cuts (every 6 to 8 weeks), gentle weekly washes, daily deep moisturizing conditioners, and air drying instead of using hair dryers.
- Massage coconut milk into your scalp, leave on for 30 minutes, then rinse with warm water. Repeat 3 times per week until your hair loss decreases and healthy hair grows in.
- Mix coconut oil with avocado and spread on hair. This combination eliminates flaking and gives your hair a healthy boost — good for natural regrowth.
- Simmer hibiscus flowers in coconut oil and spread on hair to condition it. Rinse lightly and style as usual.
- Apply a few drops of almond oil to hair every day.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of amla (Indian gooseberry), reetha (from the soapnut tree), and shikakai, which comes from a shrub native to India. Add egg and form a paste. Apply on scalp and massage throughout hair. Let sit for 25 to 30 minutes, then rinse and cleanse with a mild shampoo. Try this 3 times per week for one month to help hair regrow naturally.
- Saw palmetto has been used to treat hair loss for decades. It is the primary active ingredient found in the vast majority of natural hair loss remedies and can help hair regrow naturally.
- Stinging nettle, one of the most common herbs used in traditional folk medicine, is said to help regrow hair naturally.
- Gotu kola. This popular herb is available in its natural form at many health food stores and can stimulate hair growth.
- Ginseng. This Chinese herbal medicine is said to rejuvenate the scalp, increase blood flow, and help regrow hair.
- Fo-ti. Also known as He shou wu (Chinese for “black-haired Mr. He”), this herb has been consumed as tea or in herbal medications to help increase hair growth and reduce hair loss.
- Vitamin A is essential for hair growth, but too much vitamin A can actually cause hair loss, so be sure to take no more than 100,000 IU each day. And try natural food sources such as mango, orange, carrot, sweet potato, and squash.
- Vitamin B boosts the production of hemoglobin, which helps the scalp receive enough oxygen to stay healthy and promote hair growth. Be sure to consume potatoes, bananas, garbanzo beans/chickpeas, chicken breast, oatmeal, pork loin, and roast beef.
- Folic acid. Found in collard greens, lentils, garbanzo beans/chickpeas, papaya, peas, and asparagus, folic acid contributes to natural hair regrowth.
- Vitamin E, which also helps blood circulate to the scalp and improve hair growth, can be found in most cereals, almonds, safflower oil, corn oil, and soybean oil.
- Vitamin C is required for the healthy development of collagen, which is necessary for growing strong hair. Enjoy kiwi fruit, guava, red peppers, and oranges.
- Exercise. Daily exercise improves circulation throughout your body, including your scalp, which can result in faster hair growth. Be sure to get your heart pumping at least 3 to 4 times each week.
Last Updated: Tuesday, December 8, 2009This material is written by members and has not been medically reviewed. You should not rely on this information as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. The use of this information is solely at your own risk.