Asparagus with poached egg and bacon
- For the dressing
- To serve
- Preheat the grill to its highest setting. Heat a griddle pan until smoking.
- Trim the asparagus stalks and blanch for one minute in boiling water. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place the asparagus onto the griddle pan and cook, turning occasionally until charred all over.
- Place the bacon under the grill and cook, turning once, until crisp.
- For the dressing, place the lemon juice, tarragon and vinegar into a non-reactive pan over a low heat until warm. Remove the tarragon sprig.
- Place the egg yolks into a bowl and lightly whisk. Add the lemon and vinegar mixture and continue whisking.
- Whisking constantly, gradually add the clarified butter, whisking to emulsify and create a loose mayonnaise consistency. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- To serve, place three spears of asparagus onto each plate and season, to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place an egg on top of the asparagus and place three rashers of bacon alongside.
- Place a spoonful of the dressing onto each egg and dust with smoked paprika.