Chorizo and Sweet Potato Egg Casserole
Adapted from paleomg.com.
Makes 12 servings.
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 pounds or 4 cups diced)
2 pounds bulk raw chorizo
2 14-ounce cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
2 small or 1 large yellow onion, diced (1 cup diced)
3 large cloves garlic
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
freshly ground black pepper
12 whole eggs
1/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk (I use Silk PureAlmond.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute chorizo in a large skillet over medium heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a plate lined with paper towels. Carefully pour out all but about 3 Tbsp chorizo fat in the pan.
- Add onions and garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes and continue to cook, covered, for 6-8 minutes or until sweet potato is just tender.
- Add tomatoes and spices, stirring gently to combine.
- Transfer chorizo back into pan and gently stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a large, deep casserole dish.
- Place eggs and almond milk in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk egg mixture until frothy. Pour over meat mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are browned and bubbly.
- Remove casserole from oven, use paper towels to blot any oil accumulation from the top, and return the casserole to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Blot oil again, if necessary.
- Cut and serve. Store leftovers in the refrigerator and reheat for a quick breakfast, lunch, or dinner!