This is a really tasty, quick and easy recipe that is packed full of flavours. I really love the way the slaw provides a creamy crunch, along with the marinated kebab veggies. Don’t let the simplicity of the way this looks deceive you — it’s a truly satisfying meal that I’m sure will impress anyone.
For the kebabs
3 large portabellos
1 small red onion
1 zucchini (courgette)
1 yellow bell pepper
1 cup pineapple
3 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon ground celery seed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons flax oil
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
- - Chop the vegetables into 1” squares.
- Blend the pineapple, tamari, ginger, fennel seed, celery seed, olive oil, flax oil and sesame oil, then transfer to a bowl. Add the vegetables the bowl and marinate for a few minutes.
- Make small skewers, alternating the vegetables on each wooden skewer to you have a nice colour and texture variation.
- Optional: Place in the dehydrator for 2 – 3 hours at 115 degrees F.
For the Asian slaw
1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons tamari
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/4 cup almond butter
1/2 a head of Napa cabbage, sliced thin
1 medium carrot, ‘ribboned’ with a peeler
1/2 a red bell pepper, julienne fine
1/2 a yellow bell pepper, julienne fine
1 Thai chili, minced fine
2 green onions, finely sliced
Small handful cilantro, minced
2 tablespoons chiffonade mint
- - Blend first 5 ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Combine with remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve with warm kebabs straight from the dehydrator.