6 Powerful Ways to Boost Your Magnesium Levels
After publishing my article on 11 Miraculous Ways Magnesium Heals Your Mind & Body, many people asked me about the best ways to boost Magnesium levels. The truth is that unless you use a combination of approaches, it will take a long time. Most people's Magnesium levels are critically deficient. The ideal amount of daily intake of Magnesium for an adult leading an active life is approximately 2,000 milligrams. Most people aren’t getting anywhere near that amount!
If you think these therapeutic doses seem quite high, rest assured. The body can very easily excrete any excess Magnesium that it doesn't need.
To get your levels up quickly, use at least five of these six simple techniques.
1. Eat Magnesium rich foods. The top ten foods sources highest in Magnesium are:
- Brazil nuts
It's important to soak nuts for twelve hours to activate them, then rinse them, which releases enzyme inhibitors, phytic acid. Otherwise, eating nuts may increase Magnesium levels but decrease Zinc levels, which is also another essential mineral.
2. Take a top quality oral Magnesium supplement two times a day - with either breakfast or lunch, and dinner. The best kinds of Magnesium supplements that I recommend:
- Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate
- Liquid colloidal Magnesium
- Magnesium Chloride
- Magnesium Citrate
Visit my website to see which brands are the very best.
DO NOT TAKE Magnesium Oxide, because it forms a caustic Magnesium hydroxide in the body that can burn the intestine walls, and anyway, it is VERY poorly absorbed.
3. Stop doing things that waste Magnesium. Things to avoid if you want to keep your Magnesium levels high:
- Cooked foods - cooked foods can actually strip minerals from the body. Instead, eat plenty of raw foods (nuts, seeds, vegetables).
- Non-organic farmed “foods” come from deficient soil that uses herbicides and pesticides that can deplete Magnesium.
- Refined sugar, including corn syrup and artificial sweeteners.
- Prolonged stress - Magnesium will leech out quickly if the emotions aren't brought back into balance. Yoga will help with this.
- Cheap common table salt - replace it with good quality Himalayan crystal salt or Celtic Sea salt.
- Tap water that is laced with poisonous sodium fluoride - get a good water filter
- Refined stuff of any kind - including unfermented soy products.
- Regular and decaffeinated coffee or black tea
4. I recommend Magnesium oil, which is rubbed into the skin. I have found that if you combine Magnesium rich foods with Magnesium supplements and a topical form, it restores magnesium levels faster. I recommend rubbing Magnesium oil on your feet before you go to bed, especially if you have trouble falling asleep or your legs twitch at night.
5. Make sure you get enough of these other nutrients to utilize, absorb and keep Magnesium in your body:
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
6. There are some extremely good homeopathic Magnesium formulas that work excellently! They work really well because they open up the cell receptor site where the Magnesium needs to enter. If the Magnesium deficiency has been serious for a long time, there is a chance the receptor site has shut down. The homeopathic remedy Mag Phos can wake it up to allow Magnesium to quickly be absorbed into cells again.
The combination of these six tools gives you a powerful arsenal to raise your Magnesium levels. For further reading on the subject of Magnesium, I can highly recommend the book The Magnesium Miracle by Carolyn Dean, M.D.