Home » » RAW Nut Meat

RAW Nut Meat

I realize that the title of this recipe might not sound like the most appetizing thing in the world, but it's actually really good.  Naming the post "raw meat" was obviously out of the question, but I also didn't want to call it anything like "meat substitute" (which makes me think of tofu) or "spiced nut filling" (which sounds like some kind of horrific casserole dish you'd find at a potluck). 
Although I'm not a vegan myself, I know that a lot of the people who read my blog are - which is why I came up with this recipe.  I like to use this nut meat anywhere that you would usually use meat in a dish, but it's especially good in tacos, lasagna, or on top of raw chili.  The mushrooms give it a soft meaty texture, while the walnuts give it an oilier, hearty feel.
Here I've given the basic recipe, along with a couple of spice ideas to get you started.  Generally, I use Mexican spices if I'm using the nut meat in something like tacos, and Italian spices if I'm using it in something like pasta.  If you want, you can play around with adding additional ingredients, such as cacao powder, nutritional yeast, or olive oil - all if which give it a more complex flavor. 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup mushrooms
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp nama shoyu
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp mixed spices
    • For Mexican style nut meat:
      • Cumin, chili powder, cayenne, coriander, paprika, cilantro, lime.
    • For Italian style nut meat:
      • Sage, thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil, marjoram, sun dried tomatoes.

Directions:
In your food processor, grind sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds until no large chunks are visible.  Next you're going to pulse in the garlic, nama shoyu, salt, pepper, and additional spices.  Add walnuts and mushrooms, and blend until a coarse crumb like consistency is reached.  You can eat your nut meat right away, or let it sit in the fridge for a while to let the flavor develop.  Nut meat should keep in the fridge for around four or five days.  Enjoy it in nachos, tacos, chilies, pastas, lasagnas, wraps, or anywhere you would usually use meat!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Healthy Natural - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger