While some people would prefer to shell out thousands to have a surgeon cut, pull, and stitch their way to a younger-looking appearance, most of us are happy with the less invasive (and, often, more effective) approach. These herbs can not only help keep your skin vibrant and healthy, they can keep your brain and body functioning at a more youthful level as well.
1. GinsengThe two most common forms of ginseng we see here in the west are American ginseng and Asian ginseng. Both are known adaptogens, meaning they adapt to what the body needs, helping to regulate or normalize health and wellness. Just a few of the possible benefits of this root are stress reduction, increased stamina, and improved mental and physical performance.
2. BilberryBilberries are small blue berries that are rich in antioxidants. According to research, these berries may prevent the early signs of aging, including wrinkles and scars. They also reportedly promote healthy vision and eyes, reducing the occurrence of macular degeneration and cataracts.
3. Gotu KolaThis plant is native to India, China, South Africa, and Indonesia where it is said to have been used for thousands of years. Often drank as a tea, gotu kola reportedly can assist in wound healing, mental clarity, and varicose veins. Some reports even say it may assist in aiding memory and be a therapy for senility.
4. TurmericThis vibrant yellow spice commonly seen in curry has a wealth of benefits. Among them, experts say, is the ability to potentially ward off inflammation that causes degenerative disease. Turmeric may also reduce oxidative stress. This means it could protect tissues from damage and could be beneficial at preventing wrinkles, scars, and other visible signs of aging.
5. Vitamin DThough technically not an herb, vitamin D has numerous anti-aging benefits, according to scientists. While too much sun could be responsible for premature aging, proper sun dosages and adequate vitamin D is said to prolong cell life and reduce the signs of biological aging.
Secret Tip #6Digestive and Systemic Enzymes: This is one of the greatest secrets to reducing the aging process. We run out of enzymes by the time we are 28 years old so we must supplement with them after that. I personally take 4 capsules of Veganzyme 3x daily between meals a couple times a week. This yields tremendous anti-aging benefits.
Treat your body right and it will treat you right in return. By including helpful herbs in your daily lifestyle, you can encourage a vibrant and long life.
-Dr. Edward F. Group III, DC, ND, DACBN, DABFM