Inspired by Essen und Trinken
- Cut off top of pumpkin to make a lid and spoon out the seeds and pulp. Rub the inside with some salt. Place, cut side down, on a piece of kitchen paper, for 30 minutes.
- Soak the dried shiitake in a bowl of warm water for 15 minutes until softened. Squeeze out the water and finely chop the shiitake. Finely dice the shallots.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet. Add in chopped shallots, shiitake, allspice, juniper berries, pumpkin seeds and thyme. Cook until softened and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Place the ground beef,breadcrumbs, egg, ricotta, and shiitake mixture in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Fill the pumpkin with ground beef mixture and place on a baking tray together with the lid. Brush the pumpkin with 1 tablespoon of oil. Bake at the 2nd rack from bottom for an hour. About 10 minutes before the pumpkin has finished baking, cover with aluminum foil.