Creamy Tomato Soup (Vegan/Low Fat/Paleo/Low Sodium)
If you have the time, I recommend that you let the soup simmer have being pureed. The longer it simmers, the more time the flavors have to mingle and the thicker and luscious the soup becomes. Feel free to substitute any kind of milk for almond milk. To keep this recipe low sodium, use unsalted broth and do not add additional salt.
Author: Kelly Morrison
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup almond milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large greased or nonstick-sprayed pot over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, and apple cider vinegar, and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add the broth and almond milk and bring to a boil once again.
- Using your beloved immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth (or feel free to leave it a bit chunky if you love texture). Alternately, if you don’t have an immersion blender, puree the soup in batches in a standing blender. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour the soup into four bowls (or 1 really big one if you’re super hungry), top with cheese if desired, and serve!