Yields 6-8 servings
2 pounds fresh tomatoes, preferably Roma, chopped and seeded
2 green onions, chopped
1 cucumber, peeled and cut into small pieces
1 garlic clove, chopped
½ red bell pepper, chopped, seeded and deveined
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
1 teaspoon fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon fresh basil
1 cup tomato juice or ice water
2 slices of day-old bread (no bread for us)
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the slices of bread in water.
2. Place the vegetables, herbs, and honey in a blender (in batches, if necessary). Add a little water or tomato juice and blend until mixture is smooth.
3. Add the soaked bread, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper to taste and blend against until all ingredients are mixed well and emulsified.
4. Pour in to a large bowl, mix well and adjust the seasonings.
5. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
6. To serve: Pour gazpacho in to a soup bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and serve with cassava bread topped with finely chopped tomatoes and basil.