Cream of tomato basil soupServes 4
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and seeded;
- 4 cups of tomato juice;
- 14 fresh basil leaves;
- 1 cup of coconut milk or heavy cream;
- ½ cup of cooking fat (butter, clarified butter and coconut oil are good choices here);
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary, chopped, for garnishing;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste;
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the tomatoes and tomato juice. Allow it to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in the basil leaves to the mixture and puree. If you are pureeing in a blender or food processor, pour the mixture back in the pot and on the stove again.
- Over a medium heat, stir in the coconut milk or cream and cooking fat. Continue to stir until all the cooking fat is melted, making sure it doesn’t reach a boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve and top off with fresh rosemary sprig pieces if desired.