Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground black Angus beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 small to medium zucchini, trimmed, cut into pieces
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, cut up
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes with green chiles (14oz.)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons raw organic agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- sea salt and ground pepper, to taste
- fruity olive oil, to taste
- plain hemp milk (or moo cow milk, if you like), as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a pot of fresh salted water and bring to a boil. Cook until under fork tender and able to be mashed.
- Saute the ground Angus beef in a large hot skillet till lightly browned; pour off the fat; return the skillet to the stove. Add in the onions and garlic; stir and cook for five minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add in the zucchini; stir and cook for a couple of minutes. Add in the artichokes and tomatoes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, agave, dried herbs and cinnamon. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until the liquid is reduced a bit. Remove from heat.
- Drain the cooked sweet potatoes and mash them lightly. Season with sea salt, ground pepper and nutmeg. Drizzle with a little fruity olive oil. Add a couple of tablespoons of hemp milk and stir until smooth and fluffy.
- Layer the beef and veggie mixture in a casserole or baking dish (or four individual gratin dishes, like I did).
Top with the mashed sweet potatoes.
- Bake in the center of a preheated oven until bubbling and hot- about 25 minutes